Top 5 Incidents from India and World History of 8 August – Durand Line, Jim Corbett, Quit India Movement Launched, Foundation of ASEAN and many more
- 1509 – Krishnadeva Raya is crowned Emperor of Vijayanagara at Chittoor.
- 1919 – The Anglo-Afghan Treaty of 1919 was signed. It establishes peaceful relations between Afghanistan and the UK, and confirms the Durand line as the mutual border. In return, the UK is no longer obligated to subsidize the Afghan government.
- 1936 – Hailey National Park was established in 1936 and was first renamed Ramganga in the mid-1950s, before the name was changed to Corbett later that decade in memory of Jim Corbett, a well-known British sportsman and writer.
- 1942 – Britishers Quit India Movement’ was announced in public at Bombay Congress Session. This resolution was passed by All Indian National Congress Committee and Gandhiji gave the ‘Do or Die’ call for Independence struggle.
- 1967 – The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was founded by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.