Top 5 Incidents from India and World History of 22 August – Chennai was founded by East India Company, First Geneva Convention, Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress, independence of the Baltic states and many more
- 1639 – Madras (now Chennai), India, was founded by the British East India Company on a sliver of land bought from local Nayak rulers.
- 1864 – Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Convention, establishing the rules of protection of the victims of armed conflicts
- 1894 – Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal.
- 1984 – R. Venkataraman was elected the Vice President of India (1984 -1987).
- 1991 – Iceland is the first nation in the world to recognize the independence of the Baltic states. Baltic state is a geopolitical term, typically used to group the three sovereign states in Northern Europe on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania