Top 5 Incidents from India and World History of 21 August – first intercontinental ballistic missile, Latvia declares Independence from Soviat Union, S. Chandrasekhar pass away and many more
- 1770 – James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1957 – The Soviet Union successfully conducts a long-range test flight of the R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile.
- 1987 – Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma elected the Vice President of India (1987 – 1992).
- 1991 – Latvia declares renewal of its full independence after its occupation by the Soviet Union since 1940
- 1995 – Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, noted physics scientist, died at the age of 84. He was one of the world’s leading astro-physicists for his contributions to the study of stars. Chandrasekhar had received the highest award in Science–the Noble Prize in Physics in 1983.